Looking for work?
Thank you for your interest in employment with Nanaimo Association for Community Living. We are currently looking for COMMUNITY SUPPORT WORKERS.
Community Support Workers
NACL hires casual Community Support Workers on an as-needed basis throughout the year.
Positions (when available) are in our day program, residential programs, and employment intiatives program. Our residential programs operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Casual workers will be assigned to three programs, and are required to be available (on call) for various shifts, including night shifts and weekends. There may also be opportunities to assist with job coaching, our Snoezelen Room, and our Actions Expansion (Life Long Learning) program.
To assist individuals with the activities of daily living involving personal, social, physical, recreation, vocational, education, and environmental needs. Performs all duties in a safe, efficient, and respectful manner to promote choice, independence, and integration for the individuals being served.
These are the qualifications for working at NACL:
- A Community Support Worker diploma/certificate, Home Support/Resident Care Attendant certificate, and/or equivalent post-secondary education
- Several years of experience in supporting people with intellectual and physical disabilities in a community setting
- Current first aid certificate - PLEASE NOTE: The Ministry of Health only recognizes certain first aid courses, two of which are Emergency First Aid - Community Care (offered by St. John Ambulance) and Standard First Aid (offered by the Canadian Red Cross). Licensing standards also require CPR B training.
- Valid BC driver's license (minimum Class 4L is required to commence orientation) - full Class 4 UNRESTRICTED license must be obtained within 3 months of initial orientation
- Ability to relate effectively to persons with intellectual and physical disabilities
- Ability to effectively support people who may exhibit challenging behaviours
- Ability to work as an effective team member
- Demonstrated ability to develop, write, and follow through with personalized program plans
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to try new activities that may prove challenging
- Ability to document effectively
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to implement the Service Principles as per the Ministry of Health's Residential Care Regulations
Interested applicants are invited to submit a current resume and our NACL Application for Employment. Please send these items by mail, fax, e-mail, or in person to the attention of Randy Humchitt, Deputy Executive Director (see contact information below).
Conditions of Employment
Applicants who are shortlisted after a successful interview will receive a conditional offer of employment, and will be required to submit the following documentation before starting work at NACL:
- Valid first aid/CPR certification
- A valid BC driver's license (Class 4L or higher - full Class 4 UNRESTRICTED is required within three months of orientation)
- A clear Criminal Record Check (NACL will provide the appropriate forms)
- A form or letter from your physician stating that you are free from communicable diseases and are mentally and physically able to carry out the assigned duties (NACL will provide the appropriate form)
- Copy of SIN card
- Banking information and tax forms
- Emergency contact information
- Immunization information
- Phone numbers and availability
For more information on employment opportunities with NACL or to submit an application contact:
Randy Humchitt, Deputy Executive Director (Employee Services)
Nanaimo Association for Community Living
#201 - 96 Cavan Street
Nanaimo, BC V9R 2V1
Tel: (250) 741-0224, ext. 226
Fax: (250) 741-0227
(Please note: If sending electronic documents, PDF format is preferred.)